While you are discovering the closest Ice cream store, check out these fun ice cream facts:
1. Americans are the No. 1 consumers of ice cream worldwide, eating 48 pints of ice cream per person every year on average. New Zealand comes in at number 2.
2. The exact origins of ice cream are unknown. Shannon Jackson Arnold wrote in “Everybody Loves Ice Cream: The Whole Scoop on America’s Favorite Treat,” that “legends about ice cream’s early history abound: Marco Polo brought back the recipe for ice cream from China. Italian Catherine de Medici introduced the treat to France when she married King Henry II.”
3. Immigrants at Ellis Island were served ice cream as part of the welcoming to America.
4. The biggest ice cream sundae in history was made in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in 1988, and weighed in at over 24 tons, according to IceCream.com.
5. Vanilla is the most popular flavor, accounting for 20-29% of overall sales of ice cream with chocolate coming in a distant second.